BE YOU Recycled T-Shirt
Don’t we all need a reminder that it’s ok to “Be You”? I love this T-shirt because it is soft and luxurious, and made with upcycled cotton and recycled polyester. As we move forward trying to be good to this earth and her oceans, we are going to need to learn to re-use our products to be sustainable.
This T-shirt is so soft and easy to wear at home, on the beach, or around town. Enjoy this relaxed fit, crew neck style t-shirt that's soft and comfortable with slouchy shoulders. This is a statement tee that represents circular fashion (see more about circular fashion below) with embroidered text along the neckline that says "Be You". Due to the natural beauty of the sustainable content, the fabric may be slightly and uniquely speckled throughout.
What is recycled polyester?
This durable, versatile fabric gets its name from the process of recycling used plastic into an entirely new, wearable material. Recycled polyester is a man-made fabric produced from synthetic fibers. However, instead of utilizing new materials to craft the fabric (i.e. petroleum), recycled polyester uses existing plastic. Commonly used existing plastics are old water bottles.
What is recycled cotton?
Recycled cotton is re-purposed, post-industrial or post-consumer cotton that would otherwise be deemed straight up: waste for the landfill. For example, imagine a factory that cuts patterns for clothing out of big sheets of fabric and has all the in-between pieces to discard. The scraps of such cut and sew facilities are post-industrial cotton “waste” that have the capacity to be recycled. Depending on how recycled cotton is used, it has the potential to greatly reduce water and energy consumption in sustainable fashion and apparel, as well as reduce landfill waste and space.
What is certified organic cotton?
Organic cotton is cotton that is expected to have been grown without fertilizers and pesticides, with practices that promote biodiversity, biological cycles, and soil health. Cotton as a whole is considered to be one of the world’s “dirtiest” crops, covering 2.5% of the world’s cultivated land and accounting for 24% ($2.6 billion worth) of the world’s insecticide market. In terms of organic cotton, China, Turkey, and India are the world’s leading producers and sources. While organic cotton makes cotton cultivation “cleaner,” both organic and conventional cotton go through the same manufacturing process, which is water and energy intensive.
What is circular fashion?
According to Green Strategy, CIRCULAR FASHION is any piece of clothing or shoes that is:
- Designed so that its sub-components can be disassembled or separated to facilitate repair, remake, reuse and eventually material recycling at its end of use;
- Designed with high quality materials and in timeless style to maximize its durability, longevity and attractiveness to many users (if passed on to new users);
- Designed on demand (custom-made) in order to be more optimally designed for its specific user in terms of fabric/material, style and fit, thus increasing its perceived value and likely lifespan;
- Produced with non-toxic, high quality and preferably biodegradable materials, so that its material(s) may be safely biodegraded and composted at the end of use; or produced with non-toxic synthetic materials that may be effectively recycled (such as recyclable polyester);
- Produced in such a way that all waste generation is minimized during production, and all potential spill material and rest products can be reclaimed and reused as raw material for other processes, thus minimizing the extraction of new virgin material;
- Produced, transported and marketed using renewable energy, such as wind or solar power, wherever possible, and using water and other raw materials effectively and safely throughout production and distribution;
- Can be used by multiple users throughout its life time through swapping, borrowing, rental, redesign, or second hand services, thus extending its user life; and
- Can be safely and effectively reclaimed and recycled, whereby its components are utilized as raw material for manufacturing of new products, or are biodegraded and turned into biological nutrients for microorganisms in the soil.
- MATERIAL: 52% Upcycled Cotton, 48% Recycled Polyester (Body) / 100% Recycled Polyester (Embroidery)
- Made in: New York City
- SIZE & FIT: Image of a size Small
- Chest: 37″
- Length: 24 1/2″
- CARE: Machine wash cold
- 1-2 business days
- (1-3 business days)
Does not ship
We hope you are happy with your purchase but if for some reason you are not, you may return the item(s) within 15 days of receiving the order. To be eligible for a return, your item(s) must be unworn, unwashed and in the same condition in which they were sold. It must also be in the original packaging with all tags attached. Customer is responsible for the return shipping cost.